Thanksgiving is only a week away. If you’re hosting your family and friends for the big meal, you may be going a little crazy keeping track of the details. Don’t let Thanksgiving prep stress you out. Here are the highlights from PBS Food’s Thanksgiving Prep checklist to keep you on track this week.
Thanksgiving Prep: Do Now
There are several tasks you can do seven days prior to Thanksgiving so your sanity remains intact before the big day.
- Order your flowers or other décor for your centerpiece and schedule delivery for Wednesday to take that errand off your plate.
- Review or put together your menu and get your game plan ready for Thanksgiving with this cheat sheet.
- Pick out the wine you’ll serve at dinner and dessert, including red, white, and sweet options.
- Plan your seating arrangements, especially if you’re seating people at multiple tables and you’re worried about family politics taking over the dinner conversation.
- Put together kids’ activities to keep the little gobblers out of your hair on Thanksgiving.
Thanksgiving Prep: Do This Weekend
Take advantage of the weekend to put yourself in a good position for a stress-free Thanksgiving. Here’s your to-do list for the weekend.
- Get your grocery list ready and plan your shopping trip to avoid grocery store crowds.
- Prepare any dishes that can be frozen and reheated to cut down on the prep you do on Turkey Day, including many baked goods and side dishes.
- Iron the linens and polish the silver in front of a movie Friday or Saturday night.
- Defrost the turkey, which needs to thaw one day per four pounds of bird.
Thanksgiving Prep: Do the Week Of
If you’ve taken care of these to-do lists, you’ll be in good shape for Turkey Day. In the few days before Thursday, clean and decorate your home, confirm your guests, and execute your menu game plan. On the big day, you’ll be able to sit back, relax, and enjoy your guests (and some football!).
Hoping to add some healthy options to your Thanksgiving or holiday table? I’d love to share some wonderfully delicious ideas with you. Contact me!
Here’s to breathing easy and living life to the fullest!
Gene Wood, Life’s Pure Balance